Press release by: Renault SA
- Renault’s funky new KWID which has offered affordable mobility to all is set to become even more sought-after within the entry level segment with the addition of the KWID AMT derivative
- SUV-inspired KWID design offers impressive 180 mm ground clearance providing the lift to take on any challenge with ease
- Spaciousness of the Renault KWID is in line with upper segment vehicles comfortably accommodating 5 people with an ample 300 litres boot space
- Unprecedented features in its segment include: 7″ Touchscreen MediaNav® with Bluetooth®, USB, AUX and MP3 playback
- Driver’s airbag, front electric windows, aircon and remote central locking standard on all derivatives
- Powered by Renault’s new 1.0-litre Smart Control efficiency (SCe) engine optimised for increased performance and efficiency, enabling frugal fuel consumption from only 4.7 litres/ 100km on manual models and an impressive 4.4 litres/ 100km on the AMT model
- Range priced from just R126 900, including 1 Years’ Comprehensive Insurance
Renault’s new entry segment contender, the SUV-inspired KWID hatchback has taken the vehicle market by storm with monthly sales exceeding expectations, and over 10,000 vehicles sold since its launch in late 2016. The popular Renault KWID took proud 3rd position as one of South Africa’s 10 best-selling passenger cars of December 2017, with a staggering 1,120 units sold.
This month sees an extension to the Renault KWID range with the introduction of the AMT model alongside the current Expression and Dynamique manual models, which is sure to increase its popularity amongst auto aspirants.
An innovative and affordable entry-level vehicle, the new Renault KWID overturns established entry segment design cues thanks to its robust, stylish exterior plus a modern and inviting interior equipped with generous cabin space as well as features and fitments normally unattainable in its class.
With its appealing design and array of equipment, the new KWID hatchback remains a viable offering which is sure to meet the needs of anyone looking to buy an entry-level car.
LIVE FOR MORE TECHNOLOGY NEW TO THE ENTRY-LEVEL SEGMENT
The KWID offers a modern, intuitive interior which includes technologies that not only meet drivers’ needs but also make driving simpler and safer.
Innovative features that ensure that driver and passengers stay connected include a state-of-the-art user-friendly MediaNav® navigation/multi-media system complete with a first-in-class large 7″ (18cm) touchscreen display, encased in its piano black centre console with chrome surround (Dynamique only). The Multimedia system comes with a range of functions such as Bluetooth® audio streaming and hands-free telephony, built in navigation, USB & AUX-input ports and speed sensing volume control.
This innovative newcomer features SUV styling and construction. Its high stance and durable design underscore a sense of security while its longer wheelbase (2 422mm) allows for a spacious comfortable cabin plus more rear leg room. Boot space of 300 litres puts the new Renault KWID on par with an upper segment vehicle.
The Renault KWID is powered by an innovative 999cc Smart Control efficiency (SCe) engine mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox, which make driving both smooth and engaging. With its distinctive SUV-like stance and high ground clearance (at 180mm, more than any of its competitors) KWID offers a high driving position and greater visibility making it ideal for zipping around in urban traffic or cruising down the open highway.
The entry-level KWID is contemporary and smart, inside and out, combining the comfort and functional user-friendliness of a city car with a spacious interior and a raft of stowage solutions.
With the introduction of the new KWID AMT, Renault has gone a considerable step further in designing a new breed of vehicle in the growing small-car segment, which will offer an even more effortless driving experience
INNOVATIVE SUV-INSPIRED STYLING WITH CLASS-LEADING SPACE
The exterior design of the Renault KWID will definitely elicit a second look. Its class-leading ground clearance combined with short front and rear overhangs exude an impression of strength, reliability and the look associated with SUVs.
- LIVE FOR MORE STYLE WITH THE KWID’S FUNKY EXTERIOR DESIGN
The boldly structured front grille design highlights Renault’s trademark diamond-shaped logo while the headlights incorporate Renault’s new lighting signature with a C-shaped chrome trim.
Stylish fog lamps further enhance the Renault KWID’s striking stance. The chiselled muscular front end flows into a dynamic profile accentuated by turn indicators on the fender cladding.
The sculpted sides provide a fluid dynamic touch with the rectangular forms of the black wheel arches further accentuating the KWID’s SUV-like styling.
While the lower door decor underlines the KWID’s robust character, the steeply-raked, forward-positioned windscreen lends a sense of movement and fluidity to the high waistline which rises slightly at the rear. The large windows ensure good visibility for the driver and play a big part in travelling comfort while the sharp creases on the bonnet give it a muscular look.
At the rear, the lower part of the bumper comes with a black trim – another SUV cue – and the body-coloured tailgate spoiler adds to the car’s dynamic stance.
- LIVE FOR MORE COMFORT WITH THE KWID’S STYLED INTERIOR
The new KWID’s interior carries over the same bold and confidence-inspiring styling as the outside. The horizontal, uncluttered lines of the dashboard convey an impression of width and refinement. The digital instrument cluster and piano black centre fascia which encases the centrally-positioned MediaNAV system creates a contemporary high-quality feel that combines practicality and style (Dynamique only). Whilst the chrome highlights on the side AC vents and control knobs lend the Renault KWID a stylish edge.
The KWID’s smart, trendy interior offers class-leading space that comfortably seats five and is complemented by a host of additional and useful features. The black, red and grey fabric of the ergo smart cabin further give the Renault KWID’s interior a sporty feel. The height adjustable front seats are generously sized offering superior comfort while the electric power steering and one-touch lane change indicator make driving a breeze. The chunky steering wheel ensures one is always in control while the 4-way adjustable driver seat allows for the most ideal driving position. And then there’s the one touch lane change indicator, which makes driving a breeze.
Electric front windows add to driver and front passenger convenience while the powerful air-conditioning with heater ensures driving pleasure irrespective of the weather. All controls are easy to reach from both driver and passenger sides. The open storage space facing the front passenger, lower glove box (plus upper glove box in Dynamique variant), driver and passenger in-door storage space with 1-litre bottle holder and rear parcel tray translate to practical and convenient stowage space.
LIVE FOR MORE INNOVATION WITH OPTIMISED ENGINE EFFICIENCY
The New Renault KWID AMT offers innovative Easy-R Technology and a revolutionary 5-speed AMT. The dash mounted AMT dial has 3 modes – Reverse, Neutral & Drive – and is designed to make driving effortless. An advanced control unit automatically optimises gear shifting in accordance with driving conditions for smooth and regular acceleration. Drivers can now enjoy a clutch-free driving experience within the KWID range.
The compact 1.0- litre 3-cylinder Smart Control efficiency (SCe) engine powering the KWID models has been optimised for power and performance and pushes out peak power of 50kW @ 5 500 rpm and maximum torque of 91Nm @ 4 250 rpm.
Driverswill enjoy its good responsiveness and drivability at low revs and wide torque band across the rpm range. An extremely fuel efficient petrol powered engine, it’s paired to a 5-speed manual gearbox and delivers an incredible 4.7 litres/100 km and 4.4 litres/100km with the new AMT transmission.
Key features include:
- One of the lightest engines in the 1 litre range with aluminium cylinder block and head. Optimized usage of composite materials for weight reduction.
- Low friction design: Features include steel forged crankshaft with optimized bearing dimensions.
- Stainless steel close coupled catalytic converter for quick warm-up and best emission / consumption balance.
- F1-inspired state-of-the-art technology: Double loop Lambda monitoring and electrical controlled throttle body for accurate air / fuel ratio monitoring; knock sensor for automatic spark advance adjustment to fuel quality.
- Optimized valve timing for increased volumetric efficiency in order to achieve a flatter torque band.
- One of best-in-class power-to-weight ratios.
LIVE FOR MORE PEACE-OF-MIND WITH RENAULT’S WARRANTY
As is standard across Renault’s entire product range, the Renault KWID model range comes standard with a 5-year/150 000km mechanical warranty and a 6-year anti-corrosion warranty. Services take place at15 000km intervals. Optional service plans are available.
The KWID model range also currently offers 1 Year Comprehensive Insurance Cover, to further facilitate peace-of-mind driving.
RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICING
- NEW Renault KWID Expression 1.0-litre SCe R 126 900
- NEW Renault KWID Dynamique 1.0-litre SCe R 136 900
- NEW Renault KWID Dynamique AMT 1.0-litre SCe R 146 900